South Carolina scored three runs in the third inning and rode the standout pitching of Michael Roth in posting a 5-2 victory over Florida before a record 26,271 at TD Ameritrade Park.
The victory, South Carolina's 11th straight in Omaha and 16th in a row in NCAA tournament competition, wrapped up a sweep of the best-of-three championship series that gave the Gamecocks back-to-back national titles.
As Tom Shatel writes, the Gamecocks' second straight title solidifies them in the CWS history books as the team that earned championship honors in both the event's final year at Rosenblatt Stadium and first year at TD Ameritrade Park.
* * *
• LIVE BLOG: Click here to jump to the live blog for the latest updates and analysis from TD Ameritrade Park.
* * *
NEWS AND INFORMATION
• Traffic, parking and public transportation
• College World Series blog
• Banner Years: Comprehensive CWS database
TD AMERITRADE PARK
• Interactive: All-Access at TD Ameritrade Park
• Interactive Panorama: CWS Day 1
• Photo Showcase: How does TD Ameritrade Park compare?
• Map: Check out TD Ameritrade Park and downtown Omaha
• Photo Project: TD Ameritrade Park before & after
• Buy the 'Blatt Book: Rosenblatt Stadium: Omaha's Diamond on the Hill
• Interactive bracket
• Printable bracket
* * *
LIVE STATS, TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Saturday, June 18
• Game 1: Vanderbilt 7, North Carolina 3
• Game 2: Florida 8, Texas 4
Sunday, June 19
• Game 3: Virginia 4, California 1
• Game 4: South Carolina 5, Texas A&M 4
Monday, June 20
• Game 5: North Carolina 3, Texas 0 (Texas eliminated)
Tuesday, June 21
• Game 6: Florida 3, Vanderbilt 1
• Game 7: California 7, Texas A&M 3 (Texas A&M eliminated)
• Game 8: South Carolina 7, Virginia 1
Wednesday, June 22
• Game 9: Vanderbilt 5, North Carolina 1 (UNC eliminated)
Thursday, June 23
• Game 10: Virginia 8, California 1 (Cal eliminated)
Friday, June 24
• Game 11: Florida 6, Vanderbilt 4 (Vanderbilt eliminated)
• Game 12: South Carolina 3, Virginia 2, 13 innings (Virginia eliminated)
Monday, June 27
• Finals Game 1: South Carolina 2, Florida 1, 11 innings (South Carolina leads series 1-0)
Tuesday, June 28
• Finals Game 2: South Carolina 5, Florida 2 (South Carolina wins championship)
* * *
June 28: South Carolina vs. Florida, Game 2
June 27: South Carolina vs. Florida, Game 1
June 24: Virginia vs. South Carolina • Florida vs. Vanderbilt
June 23: California vs. Virginia
June 22: North Carolina vs. Vanderbilt
June 21: South Carolina vs. Virginia • California vs. Texas A&M • Florida vs. Vanderbilt (continuation)
June 20: Florida vs. Vanderbilt (ppd.) • Texas vs. North Carolina
June 19: Texas A&M vs. South Carolina • California vs. Virginia
June 18: Florida vs. Texas • UNC vs. Vanderbilt
June 17: CWS opening ceremonies • Practice day at TD Park
* * *
As Omaha's new downtown stadium hosts its first College World Series, we give you all of the ins and outs of TD Ameritrade Park. How does the field look? How do the hot dogs look? How does it look compared to other new stadiums? And who looks to be the favorite to be the first champ at the new park? All of those questions are tackled in our 28-page special section.
• PDF: Click here to see a digital reproduction of the historic broadsheet section (Note: Very large file; page may take a few moments to load)
• Pick up a paper: Find a location near you to pick up a copy of The World-Herald or sign up for the e-Edition.
• Gamecocks capture 2nd straight CWS title
• Shatel: Gamecocks link CWS past, present
• Chatelain: Gamecocks, their fans feel at home
• Gators leave with hollow feeling
• A chicken curse is deep-fried
• Florida pays for passing on shortstop
• Q&A with Kyle Peterson
• Notes: Repeat title hard to explain for winning coach
• General-admission line a half-mile long
• CWS Championship: Inning-by-inning
• Find yourself at the CWS opener
... and even more on the CWS blog.
* * *
Follow live updates from inside and outside TD Ameritrade Park from World-Herald staff writers and baseball writers from across the country. You can join the discussion using the #TDPark and #CWS hashtags on Twitter:
* * *
The Omaha World-Herald used Gigapan technology to create a 2.422 gigapixel image of the action and attendees at Monday's championship series opener at the College World Series on June 27, 2011. Because this large panoramic image is created by stitching together 245 high-resolution photos taken over a period of 18 minutes, there may be a few blurred sections where there was movement during the image capture process or where pictures were stitched together. Feel free to see if you can find yourself or your friends, or check out what's happening on the field. Double click to zoom, or use the zoom navigation bar at left. Click here to see the widescreen version.
* * *
We also have a 1.42 gigapixel image of the action and attendees at Saturday's College World Series opener on June 18, 2011. See if you can find yourself or your friends, or click on our predetermined snapshots to see some of the key people who showed up for the game. Double click to zoom, or use the zoom navigation bar at left. Click here to see the widescreen version.