The U.S. Military Academy is getting the whole package with Omaha Central track standout Avrie Welton, Eagle coach Trent Lodge said.
Besides winning three Class A events in her prep career, Lodge said the Army recruit is senior class president and does outstanding work in the classroom.
"She works hard, she consistently pushes and she gets out there and competes," Lodge said. "She has a lot of natural ability."
Welton won the Class A high jump as a freshman and sophomore and claimed the 300 low hurdles title last season. She was third in the 100 high hurdles.
Her performances attracted attention from Division I schools such as Missouri, as well as several small area colleges. They liked her athletic ability and academic prowess, Lodge said.
This spring, Welton has cleared 5 feet, 5 inches in the high jump. Some problems with her hip kept her from competing in the hurdles for a short time.
Platteview's Josh Jochim also has signed a Division I letter-of-intent in track and field. He'll be competing in the hammer throw for Nebraska next year.
Jochim is competing in the shot and discus this spring for the Trojans. He was second at state last year in the shot and 10th in discus.
South Dakota State, the University of Nebraska at Kearney and Northwest Missouri State also were interested in Jochim, but he liked Nebraska best.
"I loved it being close. It's always been a dream of mine to be a Husker," he said.
Jochim has never done the hammer throw, but new NU throws coach Carrie Lane said she liked that he's fast, has good balance and that his academics were strong, so he could pick up the event easily.
• Bellevue West: Nicki Bernhardt, Hastings soccer; Aubriana Batchelor, Bellevue soccer; Jasmine McCoy, Des Moines Community College basketball; Kirsten Kottich, College of St. Mary basketball; Zach Dibble, Augustana College baseball; Nikki Bernhardt, Augustana College soccer; Brittany Morrow, Midland bowling
• Elkhorn: Danielle Anderson, South Dakota soccer; Connor Fraser, Rockhurst golf
• Elkhorn South: Rachel Kammer, Taylor University tennis
• Grand Island: Andrew Riedy, UNK wrestling; Christina Silver, UNK volleyball; Tanner Meyer, Austin Meyer, Doane baseball
• Lincoln Pius X: Jeff Aylward, Doane football; Bridget Hansen, Wayne State soccer; Jared Kolbush, Morningside basketball; Carolyn McDermott, Buena Vista basketball; Derek Meyer, Northwest Missouri baseball; Trevor Milburn, Nebraska Wesleyan tennis; Brooke Punteney, Newman bowling; Rich Rice, Colorado School of Mines football; Abby Schoening, Nebraska Wesleyan basketball
• Millard South: Meg Mumaugh, Sioux Falls softball
• Norfolk: Jalen Bradley, UNO basketball; Alex Starkel, University of Nebraska at Kearney basketball
• Omaha Central: Avrie Welton, U.S. Military Academy track and field
• Omaha Marian: Jessica Koraleski, Rockhurst tennis; Kate Elman, Creighton volleyball; Ashley Jansen, Creighton volleyball
• Omaha Skutt: Shelby Duren, Northwest Missouri State volleyball; Kelsey Stratman, Rockhurst volleyball; Jenna Schlautman, UNO volleyball walk-on
• Omaha Westside: Lauren Meyers, Rockhurst basketball; Sam Kline, Simpson football; Danny Hamilton, Iowa Western football; Pat Walsh, Midland football; Shauna Hill, Creighton golf; Brandon Wiles, Grand View football; Cameron Morgan, Kansas State football walk-on
• Papillion-La Vista South: Rachel Nelson, McKendree volleyball; Michaela Whitney, Iowa softball; Olivia Roland, Pittsburg State volleyball; Lauren Poulicek, Rockhurst volleyball; Macy Engel, Northern State softball; Luke Jatczak, Doane soccer; Sarah Cushing, Doane soccer; Carina Russell, South Dakota School of Mines basketball
• Platteview: Hunter Hand, Nebraska Wesleyan football; Josh Jochim, Nebraska track and field; Taylor Lower, Iowa Western track and cross country; Christa Manning, College of St. Mary soccer; Sheridan Mason, Nebraska Wesleyan football; Nate McGill, Midland golf; Nick Smith, Nebraska Wesleyan football; Paige Webster, Midland basketball
Contact the writer: